Generic Lexapro- All You Need to Know
Generic Lexapro is widely used as an antidepressant medicine to treat anxiety and depression in adults. It is a scheduled high powered drug. So, it is not available without the prescription of a valid medical practitioner.
What is Generic Lexapro?
Lexapro contains Escitalopram as its active ingredient. It is a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor or SSRIs that balances the chemical imbalance inside the human brain. Often the imbalance creates a depression in people. Hence, generic Lexapro can help in treating depression and anxiety.
It's available as a tablet or capsule in the market.
Some important information you need to know before taking Generic Lexapro
- It is only for adults and children under 12 years age should not consume Lexapro.
- If you are taking Ozap or Citalopram or Celexa, you should not use Lexapro. These medicines often interact with Lexapro and decrease its effectiveness.
- If you are on MAO inhibitors like Linezolid, methylene blue injection, phenelzine, linexoidor, strapline, selegiline or tranylcypromine, you need to be extra careful. You should not use Generic Lexapro before or after 14 days of using the MAO inhibitors.
- It can increase your suicidal thoughts initially, Hence, make sure to take note if your mood swings or the patient you are looking after. You need to inform the doctor in case of any suicidal thoughts.
- A lot of medications interact with Generic Lexapro and create severe health conditions called “Serotonin Syndrome”. The signs of this medical condition include hallucination, agitations, shivering, faster heartbeat, muscle twitching or stiffness in your leg or hand muscles and vomiting, nausea, diarrhoea etc. If the symptom worsens, you need to get immediate medical attention. It can be life-threatening. Hence, it is better to go for a detailed discussion with your doctor or counsellor or therapists about the risks.
- If you have liver diseases like recessing jaundice, liver cirrhosis or a kidney problem you need to consult your doctor before taking Generic Lexapro
- It can lower the sodium level in your blood, So, if you have low sodium levels, you need to avoid this medicine.
- Lexapro can increase or decrease your heart rate. Hence, please inform your doctor if you have heart disease or higher blood pressure.
- If you have bipolar disorder, you may need some more medicines besides Lexapro.
- Drug addicts should remain in extra care before consuming this medicine.
- If you have frequent episodes of seizures, you need to avoid Lexapro.
- One should stay away from alcohol while on Generic Lexapro.
- Diabetic patients need special treatment, and their doctor should thoroughly check their medical condition before prescribing Lexapro.SO, make sure to inform your doctor if you have Diabetes.
- Pregnant women should not take Lexapro. It causes harm to the unborn baby and also may cause miscarriage.
- If you have become a mother recently or breastfeeding for less than three months while consuming Lexapro, you need special attention. Your baby may develop some symptoms like constant crying, muscle stiffness, laboured breathing, appetite loss, etc.. So, it is better to avoid Lexapro while you are breastfeeding.
- In case you reusing it, you should not stop the medication unless your therapist asks you. Stopping abruptly may cause dangerous consequences.
- Ibuprofen and similar medicines also have a negative interaction on Lexapro. So, avoid taking both drugs together without your doctor's consent.
- Anti-allergic or Antihistamine medicines should not be paired with Generic Lexapro.
How to take Generic Lexapro?
You need to follow the restrictions of your doctor to take this medicine. You can use water to swallow the tablets or capsules. It is better to take the medication in the evening. The dose will depend on your medical condition. If you are using a liquid medicine, make sure to use a measuring spoon to get the right amount.
Dosage of Generic Lexapro
The dose varies with the age and condition of the patient. Adolescent patients may be recommended 10 mg- 20 mg per day. For adults, the 10mg dose per day is prescribed. If the medicine is not sufficient, the doctor might increase the quantity up to 20 mg. The patient should consume one medicine of the said power once per day.
What to do in case of overdose?
Overdose can cause serious health problems. Hence, contact the nearby medical facility immediately to get medical attention.
Side effects of Generic Lexapro
Some common side effects are-
- dryness in your mouth
- Excessive sweating
- Loss of sexual interest
Some severe side effects are
- Eye pain or swelling in the eye or lips and face
- Widened pupil
- Changes in vision or blurry vision
- Serotonin syndrome or Toxicity
In case of such incidents, you need to contact your doctor or nearby hospital as soon as possible.