Generic Amoxil- Essential Things You Need to Know
Bacterial infections like Impetigo, diarrheal illness. Fever, colitis, etc requires treatment with antibacterial medicines to prevent the bacteria from making the condition worse. A proper dose of antibiotics is enough to treat any type of bacterial invasion inside your body. But, antibacterial is different from antiviral drugs and they cannot cure a common cold or flu.
What is Generic Amoxil?
- Generic Amoxil contains amoxicillin. It is one of the most commonly recommended antibacterial medicines. Is a type of penicillin antibiotic. It is a generic medicine and one can buy the medicine at a very cheap price from any medicine store. Amoxicillin is a registered drug and often requires a doctor’s prescription. But, in some countries, it is also available without a prescription.
- The medicine can treat different types of bacterial infections like tonsillitis, bronchitis, pneumonia, ear infections, or bacterial disease in the nose, throat, skin, or urinary tract or inside the intestine
- It reacts with a huge and diverse range of Gram-positive and Gram-negative bacteria and successfully stops the bacterial growth inside the human body.
- It is available in capsule or tablet form. The capsules contain 250 mg or 500 mg amoxicillin as trihydrate while the tablets contain 500 mg or 875 mg trihydrate. Additionally, generic Amoxil is also available in powder and reconstituted suspension form in the power of 125 mg, 200 mg, or 400 mg.
Some important information before you consume this drug
- You should not use this medicine if you are allergic to Amoxicillin.
- You need to tell your doctor if you are allergic to cephalosporin medications like Cefzil. Ceftin, Keflex, etc.
- Asthma patients, kidney patients, or those who have viral infection(e.g.- mononucleosis)or blood clotting disorder must inform their doctor about their present state. Generic Amoxil often interacts with the medicines of these diseases.
- Amoxil can decrease the effectiveness of birth control pills. Hence, you need to consult your doctor in this matter if you are on a pill. You might need to use non-hormonal methods like condoms, spermicide, or diaphragm to prevent pregnancy.
- You should not take the medicine for more than the prescribed period. Similarly, not completing the full recommended dose is also harmful.
- Methotrexate, a common drug for treating rheumatoid arthritis and some special types of cancer often react with Amoxil. So, if you are using Methotrexate, you cannot use Amoxil.
- Antibiotic medicines like Generic Amoxil often cause diarrhea. It often goes away with time. But, you should not use anti-diarrhea medicines without your doctor’s recommendation.
- Probenecid often slows down the removal of amoxicillin from your body. Hence, you need to inform your doctor If you are taking that medicine.
- It can also affect certain lab tests including blood glucose tests. Hence, always inform the pathologist or your doctor if you are taking generic Amoxil.
- Women who are breastfeeding need to consult their doctor before taking Generic Amoxil.
- It is not suitable for children who are younger than three months.
How to take Generic Amoxil?
- You need to abide by the advice of your doctor to take the medicine. It is best to take Generic Amoxil at the same time each day. You can use a glass of water to swallow the tablets or capsules.
- ry to gulp down the medicine at once to prevent the bad aftertaste.
- If you are using the suspension, make sure to shake it well before use. You need to use a measuring spoon or measuring cup to take the prescribed dose.
- One should never miss a dose. If you have missed one, make sure to take that missed dose as soon as you remember.
Dosage of Generic Amoxil
- In case of moderate infection, doctors usually prescribe 500 mg per 12 hours of 250 mg every eight hours.
- If one is suffering from severe bacterial infection, the doctor might recommend 875 mg every 12 hours or 500 mg on an 8 hours interval.
In general, children are recommended 500 mg per 12 hours. Doctors might recommend a patient to take the medicine for three days or 72 hours or five days or 120 hours, depending on their medical condition.
What to do in case of overdose?
Overdose may cause serious health problems like labored breathing or passing out. The patient needs to get immediate medical attention in case of overdose.
Side effects of Generic Amoxil
- Common side effects include nausea, diarrhea, vomiting. In case of serious side effects like dark urine, persistent nausea or vomiting, abdominal pain, yellow skin, or eyes one should contact the doctor immediately.
- Generic Amoxil contains Amoxicillin that is used for treating different types of antibacterial diseases. It is a generic medicine but may not be available without any prescription.