Benoquin Cream- All You Need to Know
Benoquin is a commonly used depigmenting medicine for treating vitiligo. It is one of the most effective drugs that help in the evening out the skin pigmentation issues.
What is Benoquin cream?
Benoquin cream is a type of monobenzone medicine. It is used for treating hyper or hypopigmentation skin problems. Benoquin increases the melanin content in skin cells. As a result, the skin gets darker, and the skin eventually gets an even appearance.
The chemical name of this cream is (benzyloxy) phenol, and the empirical formula is C13H12O2.
Due to its unique properties, Benoquin is widely used to treat vitiligo and other skin issues. It is a topical medicine that is readily available in cream form. In general Benoquin cream is available in the 20% power, and each gram of the cream contains 200 mg Monobenzone as its active ingredient along with cetyl alcohol NF, propylene glycol USP, and Sodium Lauryl Sulfate with white wax to form the cream base.
It is often available as an OTC medicine in the drug stores. That means one can buy the medicine without any prescription. But, one should consult a dermatologist before using Benoquin cream.
Some critical information about benoquin cream
- You should not use it to treat skin problems like age spots or brown spots, freckles, skin discoloration due to hormonal imbalance or hormonal medicines, freckles, etc.
- You should avoid using it in case you are allergic to monobenzone medicines.
- The medicine may take time at least four months) to show its effects. So, be patient and follow the medicine application routine to get significant results.
- Benoquin creams make your skin sensitive to seat and sun rays, so make sure to use proper precaution while you are using benoquin. Always apply sunscreen (at least SPF 50) and use an umbrella or scarves or appropriate dresses to prevent any sunburns or skin issues. Similarly, if you are using Benoquin, avoid using artificial tanning items or using tanning beds.
- Never use it as a cosmetic bleaching agent.
- It can cause harm during pregnancy. Hence, tell your doctor about your pregnancy and if you are planning to become pregnant in the future. Consult with your doctor in detail to know the risks and cautions.
- If you are breastfeeding, you should use Benoquin cream with caution. The drug can pass to the baby through breast milk. So, the best choice is to avoid the medicine while you are breastfeeding. On the contrary, you can stay away from Breastfeeding while you are using it.
- If you have pigmented nevi, café-au-lait spots, benoquin cream is not suitable.
- It is not ideal for patients who are suffering from malignant melanoma.
- The medicine should not be used as a replacement for Hydroquinone.
- Benoquin is a monobenzone medicine. It reacts with Viagra. So if you are a man who is taking Viagra for erectile dysfunction, stay away from this cream.
- It results in adverse effects when coupled with PDE-5 inhibitors. So, if one is taking PDE-5 inhibitors, they need to stay away from Benoquin cream.
- It is not ideal for children below 12 years.
- If your skin develops rashes or itching patches, you should not use Benoquin cream.
How to use benoquin cream?
- You need to use the medicine as directed by your doctor, if you have bought it as an OTC medicine, consult with the pharmacist once before applying it. You can refer to the information manual given with the treatment.
- The benoquin cream should be applied to clean and washed skin. So, remove any makeup and cleanse your skin before you apply it. You need to apply it in a thin layer on the affected area.
- Make sure to avoid using it in the unaffected area. A doctor can recommend you two to three times per day.
- Please remember that you cannot apply it if you are going out within an hour. So, make sure to use it at least two to three hours before you go out.
Side effects of benoquin cream
- Common side effects include sensitive skin, mild to moderate irritation, flaky skin, etc. If you feel severe skin irritation, rashes, or swelling in the treated area, contact your doctor as soon as possible.
- Benoquin is a topical medicine that can effectively treat vitiligo. Benoquine should use it continuously with proper instruction to get the best results.