Aciclovir Tablets - What Are the Essential Things You Need to Know?
Antiviral medicines are often recommended by doctors to treat regular flu or any other type of viral disease for fast recovery. Making such medicines Aciclovir is a common medicine. It is a generic medicine and is available at most of the offline and online drug stores.
What is Aciclovir Tablet?
- Aciclovir is a common antiviral medicine. Doctors recommend it for a diverse range of viral infections; it is applicable for common viral fever or cough. On the other hand, Aciclovir can effectively treat complex and serious viral diseases like cold sore around the mouth or oral herpes, shingles, chickenpox, and even genital herpes.
- The medicine can also be used to treat viral diseases among the patients who have a recurring history of their disease.
- Aciclovir does not cure the disease; instead, it decreases the life of disease
- span of the virus and the severity of the viral outbreaks. It also prevents the virus from multiplying their numbers rapidly and also prevents them from making the health condition worse.
- Aciclovir available as a tablet or capsule, buccal tablet, or suspension. On the other hand, it also comes in other forms like creams or ointments. Moreover, the medicine is also available as an Intravenous or IV drugs.
- Aciclovir is often used as a combination therapy with other drugs to cure the disease completely.
Some important information about Aciclovir
- It can be consumed by adults or children. But, you cannot use it if you are allergic to Aciclovir.
- Patients who are older than 65 years or are younger than two years cannot take this medicine.
- You need to consult the doctor and inform him/her about your kidney disease.
- If you are taking certain medicines that can make your immune system weak, you may not be suitable for oral Aciclovir.
- You need to start the medicine as soon as your doctor recommends it.
- If you are breastfeeding, you need your doctor’s consultation before consuming it.
- In case you are on hormonal birth control, it is better to go for a non-hormonal birth control alongside the medicines. Also, ask your doctor if birth control medicine can react with Aciclovir.
- Men who are taking generic Viagra must consult their doctor before starting Aciclovir.
- If you have neurological problems and are on medication to treat that health issue, inform your doctor about the medications you take. Some neurological drugs often interact with Aciclovir.
How to take Aciclovir Tablet
Aciclovir is available in different forms. If you are using creams or ointments, make sure to wash your hands before and after applying the cream. For the tablets, follow the instructions of your doctor. You have to take the tablets at the same time per day until the recommended dosage is complete. Make sure to swallow the tablet or capsule with a gulp of water. If you are unable to swallow the tablets you can dissolve the Aciclovir tablet in a small glass of water and drink that solution.
In case of oral suspension or liquid, you need to take only the prescribed amount, You have to measure each dose carefully with the help of the measuring plastic syringe or plastic spoon.
Dosage of Aciclovir Tablet
- For shingles, doctors prescribe 800 mg tablet five times per day for seven to ten days. In the case of genital herpes, 200 mg per four hours for 10 days at a regular dose. For severe disease 400 mg tablets two times per day for 12 months. For chickenpox, 800 mg tablets four ties per day for five days is the recommended dose.
- If you are using cream or ointment then you may need to apply the cream five times per day. Try to apply a thin layer on the affected area after a regular interval to get the best dose. Doctors may recommend it to use for five to ten days.
What to do in case of a missed dose or overdose of Aciclovir?
If you miss a dose of Acyclovir, you need to take the medicine or apply the ointment as soon as you remember it. But, for oral medication, avoid taking two doses at once as it is an overdose. Although overdose is not harmful, it is better to avoid taking more than prescribed amounts.
Side Effects of Aciclovir Tablet
- Pain, or swelling at the place of injection
- Stomach pain
- Low urination
- Increased thirst
- Appetite loss
- Bloody urine
- Black stools
Aciclovir is one of the best medicines for treating viral diseases like chickenpox, herpes, cold sores, etc. It's a generic drug that is not available without prescription. One needs to follow the advice of the doctor to get the best results.