Generic Abilify- Uses, Important Information, Dosage, and Side Effects
Mental disorders and neurological disorders require proper treatment with compassion. Patients, who are suffering from Bipolar disorder, Schizophrenia, Tourette's syndrome, or depression, can overcome their illness if they get adequate treatment. Generic Abilify can be the best medication for such people.
What Is Generic Abilify?
- Generic Abilify contains Aripiprazole as its active ingredient. It blocks specific receptors on the nerves of the human brain for some neurotransmitters or chemicals that nerves use for communication.
- It increases Dopamine and Serotonin and allows the receptors to stimulate the neuroreceptors. It ensures that the consumer gets a better mood. Generic Abilify is widely used to treat mental illnesses like Bipolar Disorder, Schizophrenia, Major or severe clinical depression in adults, and mixed manic or depressive episodes or anxiety in adults. Additionally, it is also used for treating neurological diseases like Tourette's disorder(Irritability seen in autistic people).
- It is a generic antipsychotic drug(atypical type). The medicine can also decrease the hallucinations and improves concentration in people who are suffering from depression and also increases their confidence.
- It is a scheduled drug, and only practicing Clinical Psychologists or Psychiatrists can prescribe this medicine. One can only buy it from a registered medicine store with a valid prescription.
Some important information about Generic Abilify
- You cannot take Generic Abilify if you have-
- Obesity or overweight
- Low amount of Granulocytes in blood
- Low level of white blood cells like neutrophils
- Suicidal thoughts
- heart disease
- Weight gaining issues
- Poor metabolism
- Patients often develop Tardive Dyskinesia or automated movements of jaw, tongue, or lip if they use Generic Abilify for a long time. If you already have Tardive Dyskinesia, consuming Abilify can make your condition worse. So, it is better to avoid Abilify all together.
- Glaucoma patients who take eye drops like Bimatoprosr, Travoprost, or latanoprost cannot take Generic Abilify. The medicine often reacts with the ophthalmic eye drops.
- Patients who take anticonvulsants like Carbamazepine cannot take Abilify.
- Patients who have seizures and take medicines like Phenobarbital also need to avoid this medicine.
- Those who are taking antifungal medicines like Ketoconazole, Itraconazole need to inform their doctor. Such Antifungal drugs often interact with Generic Abilify.
- If you are suffering from irregular heartbeats, and have been taking Quinidine, stay away from Abilify.
- OCD patients who are taking medicines like Fluoxetine, Fluvoxamine, or Paroxetine should not take Abilify.
- If you are taking any medicine containing Aripiprazole, you cannot consume Abilify. It would not be paired with any medication containing the same active ingredient.
- If you are more than 65v years old, you cannot take this medicine.
- It is not ideal for children.
- If you have undergone a heart operation within a year, make sure to inform the doctor about your operation history.
- Children younger than 13 years should not consume Aripiprazole.
- You should not take Abilify if you have allergies to Aripiprazole.
- Pregnant women need to inform their physicians about their pregnancy. It should be only given in emergencies if there is no alternative available for a pregnant woman.
- If you are breastfeeding your child, do not take Generic Abilify.
- If you have eye problems like edema, iritis, uveitis, or aphakia(lens extraction) you should not consume Abilify.
- An elderly patient who has Dementia should not take this drug.
- Do not use any recreational drugs or herbal items while you are on Abilify.
How to take Generic Abilify?
- You need to follow the instructions of your physician to take Generic Abilify. It is a medicine that you will consume for a long time. So, make sure to get your refill on time.
- In general, a patient is recommended to take medicine as a whole. You can use a glass of water to swallow it. Do not crush or split the pill. It is better to take medication at a fixed time each day. You should not stop taking this medicine without consulting your doctor. Your dose may change with time.
What is the dosage of Generic Abilify?
In the case of adults who have Bipolar disorder or Schizophrenia are often prescribed 10 to 15 mg of Abilify once per day, The dose may go up to 30 mg per day to get the best results. For Tourette's disorder, doctors advise getting 5 to 20 mg once per day according to the degree of the medical constitution.
Side effects of Generic Abilify
The common side effects include dizziness, drowsiness, lightheadedness, nausea and vomiting, fatigue, excess saliva, weight gain, constipation or headache, and insomnia. You need to consult your doctor if you develop high blood sugar or Tardive dyskinesia.